Monday, February 28, 2011

Bulls vs. Hawks...who am i watching?

The end of February is here, and is the historical time when the NHL and NBA teams begin to play up to their potential and secure playoff positions. Chicago sports fans are blessed to have what a lot of cities don’t have; a decision of watching their hockey or basketball team.

The Blackhawks are a shoe string away from making the playoffs, as an 8th seed (I could’ve sworn they are the reigning champions! Now I hardly see any Blackhawks paraphernalia being worn.). The Bulls, hot off a classic win against Lebron’s Heat, are currently seeded 3rd in the east and riding on the coat tail of Superstar Derrick Rose.

So, what team am I going to focus all of my precious time and attention on? That’s easy, The Bulls.

Not just because Hockey is as entertaining to me as Justin Bieber. Nor that I’m just as knowledgeable about hockey as I am about the cast of Jersey Shore (what is a “Snooki?”). No, it’s not because it’s easier to keep up with the Kardashians. Honestly, I don’t really care about anything dealing with hockey. Never was a fan of what I call “padded figure skating.” I say that to say, “Come on Bulls show me what you got!”

Before I misguide you, I am NOT a Bulls’ fan. I haven’t been one since Scottie signed his name on the dotted line to play with the Houston Rockets. I am an 11-year Dallas Mavericks fan; even have a framed ticket stub with Mark Cuban’s autograph.

But I digress; I’m staying locked in on the Bulls because I want to see what all the fuss is about. News articles, sports anchors, radio programs, and numerous basketball fanatics have praised the Bulls so much, that my intrigue about this core of players has risen.

No longer are they the “Baby Bulls.” With Rose at the steering wheel this team has impressed so much they are being considered legitimate title contenders. Though they proved they were contenders in the 2009 series against the Celtics, they improved their roster by stealing major pieces of the Utah Jazz.

This current crop of Bulls has proven they aren’t playing for the future, but are dead serious about keeping Chicago celebrating championships.

With victories over the Heat, Mavericks, Lakers, Thunder, Celtics, Magic, and Spurs, they solidified themselves into the heated debate of who’s the “Best team in the league.”

This is the best Bulls team since 1998, why wouldn’t we be watching them? In a city that is under the shadow of Jordan and the 85’ Bears, it’s almost impossible to get this city this excited and anxious about the playoffs.

Joakim Noah’s wacky and energetic personality on and off the court along with the quickness and flashy play of MVP candidate, Rose, keep fans glued to TV sets and United Center seats.

With a majority of the young and most talented players taking their talents to the Eastern Conference, the 2011 NBA playoffs are poised to remind us of the classic battles in the 90s.

The closer it gets to mid-April the more fidgety I get. The Bulls are back and according to the lack of trade day moves, they will be here for a while.

Brand new batteries are in the remote, the couch is clean and ready for 8 hours of straight sitting, and I have a whole new arsenal of reasons to tell my boss I can’t make work.

No comments:

Post a Comment